Friday, June 8, 2012

Leche Flan (creme caramel)





I have been craving really bad for a plate of leche flan in the past few months. It was a thirst that needed to be quenched so when 2 dozens of fresh duck eggs were delivered last week I need not wait longer.
As I exclaimed “Oh Yes!” my dismay followed soon after. You see I don’t know how to make one. Off I went to dig up old recipe books for a Filipino leche flan. I found one called tipsy leche flan.

Tipsy Leche Flan (Tipsy Creme Caramel)

8 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup evapored milk
2 tbsp brandy

In a bowl mix together egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Add milk and brandy and stir to incorporate. Using a cloth seive strain the mixture. In a llanera or any cooking tins sprinkle a handful of sugar, cook over low heat to caramelize. Cool for a minute. Pour mixture evenly on both llaneras (oblong, about 2 inches deep and 8 inches long with lid).
Steam the mixture for 20 minutes. Turn off heat then leave for 5 minutes more. Remove from steamer. Let cool. Invert to a clean dry plate before serving.
The original recipe asks to bake the leche flan for 45 minutes. I however grew up with a steamed leche flan so that’s what I did. This specific flan has a bit of bitterness in it. The amount of sugar was just enough to sweeten the flan so when poured with the caramel it wouldn't be too sweet. It has a bit of kick so just omit the brandy if served to kids.

Oh I made another leche flan a few days later using cream instead of evaporated milk and condensed milk instead of sugar. I didn’t strain it so it was a bit lumpy. No brandy as well. This one however has a smoother feeling perhaps because of the cream?
I liked both. It made me really happy even though I got minor burns because of the very hot steam.





This was originally posted at http://saltforvanilla.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment